The Hayling Site
Go Back   Hayling Forum > Other Stuff > Readers Questions

Welcome to The Hayling Site

Thanks for stopping by the forum of The Hayling Site. Our forum is the place where locals, ex-islanders and others with an interest in Hayling Island come to chat, keep up with local issues and vent.
You are very welcome to view the website as a guest. You can also register for free if you wish. As a registered user you can also:

•  » Join in the conversation in the forum
  •  » Submit your news and events
  •  » Enjoy the website with fewer adverts
  •  » Access member only areas and content

Click Here to register for free.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
Carrera30
Prized Member

Carrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At what age does Master become Mr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by local_lass View Post
Mister, though some etiquette writers hold that the title Mr should not be used until the boy has left school.
Not true!

My Father sent me to a disgustingly expensive private "skool" in order to give me a better start in life. On reaching the ripe old age of 13 and a bit: my voice broke and then other unusual "body" things started to happen to which I was not previously accustomed. From there on in I was no longer "Master C30" for the Teachers and Head Master .... I was "Mr.C30"

In computer jargon, these days, its called an "Upgrade".

C30.

Last edited by Carrera30; 08-10-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Bloddin grammar...back to skool!
Carrera30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #12
haylingpete
Prized Member

haylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At what age does Master become Mr
Basically, it all depends upon whether your parents surname is Bates, or not?

Hp

haylingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
loobyloo

loobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant futureloobyloo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by haylingpete View Post

Hp

i so wanted to say that
loobyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
yomumma99
Prized Member

yomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by haylingpete View Post

Hp

Reminds me of some jokes in a Welsh Uni rag mag once!

A day without a smile, is a wasted day!
yomumma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #15
Glenf

Glenf is a jewel in the roughGlenf is a jewel in the roughGlenf is a jewel in the rough

I can remeber relatives sending me birthday cards etc addressed as 'Master' until I was about sixteen. Then also..I started gettign some letters adressed with no prefix but with 'esquire' after my name. Quaint and rather nice but nthat does seem to mahppen these days -or does it?
Glenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
yomumma99
Prized Member

yomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond reputeyomumma99 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenf View Post
I can remeber relatives sending me birthday cards etc addressed as 'Master' until I was about sixteen. Then also..I started gettign some letters adressed with no prefix but with 'esquire' after my name. Quaint and rather nice but nthat does seem to mahppen these days -or does it?
I think that esquire in old etiquette was attached to a 'land owner' and often gets used (or did when I was a legal secretary) if the letter is just to a man ~
G. Brown Esq...

A day without a smile, is a wasted day!
yomumma99 is offline   Reply With Quote