The Hayling Site
Go Back   Hayling Forum > Island Stuff > Environmental Issues

Welcome to The Hayling Site

Thanks for stopping by the forum of The Hayling Site. Our forum is the place where locals, ex-islanders and others with an interest in Hayling Island come to chat, keep up with local issues and vent.
You are very welcome to view the website as a guest. You can also register for free if you wish. As a registered user you can also:

•  » Join in the conversation in the forum
  •  » Submit your news and events
  •  » Enjoy the website with fewer adverts
  •  » Access member only areas and content

Click Here to register for free.

Old 29-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
sunbunny
Prized Member

sunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Abandoned nests - bad weather

At last the rain has stopped. Bluetit arrived back at nesting box but after poking its head into the box several times it flew away. Think disaster has struck.
sunbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
rose
Prized Member

rose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley J View Post
how do you keep the pidgeons off the feeding table, they wait for the blackbird to come and feed from the mealworms, then they muscle in
If you have a bird table with a roof, tie some string around the supports. It keeps the pigeons out but the blackbirds and all the small birds can get in easily.

table.jpg
rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
Lesley J

Lesley J is just really niceLesley J is just really niceLesley J is just really niceLesley J is just really niceLesley J is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post
If you have a bird table with a roof, tie some string around the supports. It keeps the pigeons out but the blackbirds and all the small birds can get in easily.

Attachment 3171
brilliant idea thank you
Lesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
sunbunny
Prized Member

sunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud ofsunbunny has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose View Post

Attachment 3171
I have tried this and it is working. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
sunbunny
Prized Member

I have spent the afternoon bird watching from my conservatory, as it's too wet to do any of the jobs I need to do outside.
There is activity once more at the nesting box. There seems to be just one bluetit flying in and out at irregular intervals. Could it be that there are babies in there after all and perhaps the other bird has been killed. It is rather strange.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Blue
Prized Member

Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBlue has a reputation beyond repute

my tits are still ok for fingers crossed for yours
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
haylingpete
Prized Member

haylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Oh!!

haylingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
baabaaflossie
Prized Member

baabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Thank goodness. It has crossed my mind to ask. Next door has two pigeons nesting on their Sky bracket.