The Hayling Site
Go Back   Hayling Forum > Island Stuff > General Local Issues

Welcome to The Hayling Site

Thanks for stopping by the forum of The Hayling Site. Our forum is the place where locals, ex-islanders and others with an interest in Hayling Island come to chat, keep up with local issues and vent.
You are very welcome to view the website as a guest. You can also register for free if you wish. As a registered user you can also:

•  » Join in the conversation in the forum
  •  » Submit your news and events
  •  » Enjoy the website with fewer adverts
  •  » Access member only areas and content

Click Here to register for free.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Spacey
Banned

Spacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of moving to hayling.... Plz help with info!

Hi everyone - New to the forum, so bear with me!

I'm seriously considering a move to Hayling (got some property viewings this w/e - oh, and I'm nowhere near retirement age btw..) So I've been hunting through the forum in hunt of answering some of my questions - and was wondering if you could help me get my head round a couple questions I have without any/all the 'estate agent gloss' being applied...

Crime - Is Winsor close sorted & is that end of Hayling ok? (i.e. Is my Jag likely to end up on bricks & windowless?) I've seen crime stats etc - but they're pretty useless, crime looks low etc - but what's cookin?

Flooding - I'm looking at places on the seafront / Southwood road etc - what's the likelyhood of my rubber duck collection ending up - floating across the lounge? Or my window's getting blown out with Shingle etc?

Properties - There's loads on the market, is everyone evacuating the Island or something??? Que?

Hope you can help me out! Thanks in Advance!

Spacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
puddy
Prized Member

puddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to hayling.... Plz help with info!

Hiya! I wouldn't jump into Winsor Close just yet.

Flooding -

The part of Southwood Road that doesn't flood (so far) is from Creek Road corner to almost the top of the road (going west). I'm sure some other members can be a bit more accurate!

I think we'll have to call you Space Cadet for short!

++ Always look after your broom ++
puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
andyw
Prized Member

andyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmmm - rather a strange first post I must admit.

Why is your primary concern regarding windsor close?
Is it your budget?

Letting this go over me head..........
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Spacey
Banned

Spacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond reputeSpacey has a reputation beyond repute

Concern about Winsor close - just read posting elsewhere on the forum that there's been trouble there...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
puddy
Prized Member

puddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond reputepuddy has a reputation beyond repute

There has been, in the past - don't know about now but, PERSONALLY, I'd give it a miss.

What viewings have you got this weekend?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
andyw
Prized Member

andyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond reputeandyw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalSpacedCadet View Post
Concern about Winsor close - just read posting elsewhere on the forum that there's been trouble there...
Think there is a new management system in place now, but other places too have their problems.
What is your budget? What sort of property are you looking for?
Maybe if you were to elucidate a little more, you may get more response / replies.
The Island isn't cheap -even for a 1 bed flat is expensive.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Spacey
Banned

2 in southwood road - so near to Windsor close, one on wheatlands avenue & then one in stamford avenue...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Spacey
Banned

Budget - up to 230k... flat / house / bungalow - don't mind really... I've just picked a cross section of places to look at this weekend.. more concerned about the obvious things, like flooding / crime etc
Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
puddy
Prized Member

I lived a stonesthrow from Winsor Close, up until last year, and had no trouble at all. Wheatlands Avenue is good, I think. Stamford Avenue is off Seafront, isn't it? I think it's ok there as well.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
andyw
Prized Member

Budget range then????????

Stamford ave would prob be the better end of the Island IMO anyway- but then, that is close to other problems (in the past ) areas too.
Suggest do some more homework as to what sort of amenities you are after, that way you'll probably find something more to your personal preferences.