The Hayling Site
Go Back   Hayling Forum > Other Stuff > Readers Questions

Welcome to The Hayling Site

Thanks for stopping by the forum of The Hayling Site. Our forum is the place where locals, ex-islanders and others with an interest in Hayling Island come to chat, keep up with local issues and vent.
You are very welcome to view the website as a guest. You can also register for free if you wish. As a registered user you can also:

•  » Join in the conversation in the forum
  •  » Submit your news and events
  •  » Enjoy the website with fewer adverts
  •  » Access member only areas and content

Click Here to register for free.

Old 13-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
conanos
Prized Member

conanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant futureconanos has a brilliant future
Default Do you know how long your driving license is valid for?

I had assumed that the license was valid until my 70th birthday - in fact nothing would change on it unless I moved house.

Apparently not - the two piece photo licenses only last for 10 years. More revenue generation........

The point being that I don't believe that I am the only one who was not aware of this - so there are several thousand people driving about without a valid license

conanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
rose
Prized Member

rose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you know how long your driving license is valid for?

Just checked mine and the dates on the plastic driving licence and the paper document do match.

Do the addresses on yours match conanos or are you looking at an earlier version of the paper one?
rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
haysboat
Prized Member

haysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond reputehaysboat has a reputation beyond repute

Many people were caught out on this one! Your plastic card bit is valid for 10 years only. I think this did come up on a thread once before or else I read it in the paper but yes - be very careful!!
haysboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
tenchgirl
Prized Member

tenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond reputetenchgirl has a reputation beyond repute

my paper one ran out in 2044 but yesterday I took it to portsmouth DVLA and sent it off for a paper one which just cost me 20 notes and yes it will only last 10 years, theiving blods!!!

---------------------------------------------
fINSHED wORK Other Finishes
tenchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
rose
Prized Member

rose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond reputerose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchgirl View Post
my paper one ran out in 2044 but yesterday I took it to portsmouth DVLA and sent it off for a paper one which just cost me 20 notes and yes it will only last 10 years, theiving blods!!!
The DVLA website says it's the photo that needs updating!!

Quote:
In most circumstances, you’ll need to renew the photo on your driving licence before it expires, as the photo’s only valid for 10 years.
Thought I'd found a way around this but they've thought of it ......

Quote:
You must tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of any changes to your name, address or both. You can update your driving licence online or send it to DVLA for amendment. A new licence will be issued free of charge unless your photograph’s due for renewal.
Sorry conanos, I'd misread your original question.
rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
PansyPeach
Prized Member

PansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud ofPansyPeach has much to be proud of

I didn't realise this - must make a note of that then!
PansyPeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
haylingpete
Prized Member

haylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond reputehaylingpete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick to my paper only driving licence, no need to replace that, with a fee every 10 years.

Hp

haylingpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
haylingwriters
Prized Member

haylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond reputehaylingwriters has a reputation beyond repute

The first change, from paper to plastic, is free of charge.

This is not made clear in the instructions. When I changed my tattered old 1976 paper licence for plastic in 2007, I sent in a payment for 19 pounds and the payment was returned.

Since the paper one was due to expire in 2017, the fact that the plastic one only had a ten year life was rather academic in my case.

I have found having a plastic licence with a photo on it has been essential in re-establishing my residence in the UK.

One little wrinkle that might cause me trouble in the future. A lot of places say that they want a utility bill to prove address. How quaint. I never get hard copy utility bills or bank statements. It's all electronic at Chez HW.

Spacey would be proud!

Last edited by haylingwriters; 13-05-2009 at 01:24 PM.
haylingwriters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Furbag
Prized Member

Furbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond reputeFurbag has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to watch out for when you change your address or opt for a new photo licence is make sure they give you all your rights to drive back.

Recently theres been a bit about folks not getting their correct driving rights back with the photocard, i.e losing motorbike rights or even being able to actually drive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/..._entitlem.html

Fur
Furbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
MadMackem
Prized Member

MadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond reputeMadMackem has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just because Conanos is 60 ?
MadMackem is offline   Reply With Quote