The Hayling Site
Go Back   Hayling Forum > Other Stuff > Readers Questions

Welcome to The Hayling Site

Thanks for stopping by the forum of The Hayling Site. Our forum is the place where locals, ex-islanders and others with an interest in Hayling Island come to chat, keep up with local issues and vent.
You are very welcome to view the website as a guest. You can also register for free if you wish. As a registered user you can also:

•  » Join in the conversation in the forum
  •  » Submit your news and events
  •  » Enjoy the website with fewer adverts
  •  » Access member only areas and content

Click Here to register for free.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Tactac

Tactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need help with some maths questions.

Random thread but i would appreciate any help available into answering these questions, thanks

If the opening stock of Pinot Grigio is 120 bottles, 2 deliveries of 48 bottles are received, and the closing stock is 98 bottles.
Required
How many have been sold?

If the following costs are incurred on sales of £18,500: Staff Wages - £3,367, Management Salary - £2,250.
Required
What are the following percentages? (To 1 decimal place)
a) Staff Costs
17.8%
19.6%
18.2%
30.4%
12.2%

Required
b) Management Costs
30.4%
15.2%
21.3%
8.4%
12.2%

Required
c) Total Employment Costs
30.4%
27.2%
32.5%
21.9%
36.8%

If a pizza costs £2.85 to produce and is sold to the guest for £9.95, what percentage gross profit is made from this dish? (To 1 decimal place)
Required64.3%
81.2%
72.8%
71.4%
69.2%

What is the VAT amount on an item that sells for £8.50?
Required£1.92
£1.49
£1.27
£1.17
£0.98

A case of 24 bottles of Lager costs £15.84 from our suppliers and we sell each individual bottle for £2.95.
Required
a) What percentage profit do we make on each bottle?
63.2%
77.6%
76.7%
22.4%
36.8%

Required
b) How much cash profit is made on the whole case?
£54.96
£70.80
£62.10
£48.34
£69.21

The Belvedere Arms takes £11,800 in drink sales and £5,600 in food sales in a week. In the same week the pub delivers £8,496 profit on drink and £3,640 profit on food. The week's sales budget is £16,200.
Required
What are: (To the nearest whole number)
a) Total Sales
£17,400
£12,136
£21,300
£29,536
£18,500

Required
b) Performance against Sales Budget
Up by 6.9%
Down by 7.4%
Flat
Up by 7.4%
Down by 6.9%

Required
c) Food GP%
56%
153%
65%
178%
Impossible to say

Required
d) Drink GP%
72%
49%
151%
138%
Impossible to say

Required
e) Total GP%
143%
127%
62%
70%
Impossible to say

Thank you.

Tactac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Lizziewhiz

Lizziewhiz is a splendid one to beholdLizziewhiz is a splendid one to beholdLizziewhiz is a splendid one to beholdLizziewhiz is a splendid one to beholdLizziewhiz is a splendid one to beholdLizziewhiz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I need help with some maths questions.

Colin, I think you can help here.
Lizziewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
Rumplestiltskin
Prized Member

Rumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond reputeRumplestiltskin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactac View Post
Random thread but i would appreciate any help available into answering these questions, thanks

If the opening stock of Pinot Grigio is 120 bottles, 2 deliveries of 48 bottles are received, and the closing stock is 98 bottles.
Required
How many have been sold?
Here is some help for this question.

Stock of 120 receives addition of 48 plus 48.

So total stock is now 120+48+48

After selling some, the remaining stock is 98.

So number sold is 120+48+48-98

You do the arithmetic.
Rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Tactac

Tactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond reputeTactac has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops i didnt mean to include that one, its mostly the percentages ones.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
colinspicer
Prized Member

colinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to answer the questions for you, tactac but here are some hints....

Quote:

Required
How many have been sold?

See Rumps reply

If the following costs are incurred on sales of £18,500: Staff Wages - £3,367, Management Salary - £2,250.
Required
What are the following percentages? (To 1 decimal place)
a) Staff Costs
17.8%
19.6%
18.2%
30.4%
12.2%

Divide Staff Wages by Sales & multiply by 100 to get percentage

Required
b) Management Costs
30.4%
15.2%
21.3%
8.4%
12.2%

Divide Management Salary by Sales & multiply by 100 to get percentage

Required
c) Total Employment Costs
30.4%
27.2%
32.5%
21.9%
36.8%

Add Staff Wages to Management salary, divide total by Sales & multiply by 100 to get percentage

If a pizza costs £2.85 to produce and is sold to the guest for £9.95, what percentage gross profit is made from this dish? (To 1 decimal place)
Required64.3%
81.2%
72.8%
71.4%
69.2%

Gross profit is Sale Price minus Cost. Divide result by Sale Price and multiply by 100.

What is the VAT amount on an item that sells for £8.50?
Required£1.92
£1.49
£1.27
£1.17
£0.98

Divide VAT rate (assume 17.5%) by 100 and add to 1.00. Divide Sale Price by result. Subtract result from Sale Price.

A case of 24 bottles of Lager costs £15.84 from our suppliers and we sell each individual bottle for £2.95.
Required
a) What percentage profit do we make on each bottle?
63.2%
77.6%
76.7%
22.4%
36.8%

Divide cost by number of bottles. Divide individual sale price by result. Subtract 1.00 and multiply by 100.

Required
b) How much cash profit is made on the whole case?
£54.96
£70.80
£62.10
£48.34
£69.21

Multiply individual sale price by number of bottles. Subtract total cost.
I'll have a look at the rest later.

@Ad_minis
colinspicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Frogster
Prized Member

Frogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond reputeFrogster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thank you.
Out of interest what are these for?

http://www.justgiving.com/Equipe-Meilleur-de-Sein
Frogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Tactac

for a job application form.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
badger
Prized Member

badger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond reputebadger has a reputation beyond repute

colinspicer gets the job!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
colinspicer
Prized Member

colinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond reputecolinspicer has a reputation beyond repute

... and the rest!

Quote:
The Belvedere Arms takes £11,800 in drink sales and £5,600 in food sales in a week. In the same week the pub delivers £8,496 profit on drink and £3,640 profit on food. The week's sales budget is £16,200.
Required
What are: (To the nearest whole number)
a) Total Sales
£17,400
£12,136
£21,300
£29,536
£18,500

I hope you don't need help with this one!

Required
b) Performance against Sales Budget
Up by 6.9%
Down by 7.4%
Flat
Up by 7.4%
Down by 6.9%

Total Sales divided by Sales Budget. Subtract 1.00 from result and multiply by 100

Required
c) Food GP%
56%
153%
65%
178%

Profit divided by Sale Price mutlipled by 100

Required
d) Drink GP%
72%
49%
151%
138%

As above.

Required
e) Total GP%
143%
127%
62%
70%

Total profit for drinks and food divided by total sales for drinks and food. Result multiplied by 100

Thank you.

@Ad_minis
colinspicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
baabaaflossie
Prized Member

baabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond reputebaabaaflossie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
for a job application form.
Is this not cheating then?