The Hayling Site

Hayling Ferry

Ferry point is the closest part of Hayling to our neighbouring island of Portsmouth, with Eastney only a few hundred yards off shore. Travel between these two points is provided by the Hayling Ferry service which runs regularly throughout the year carrying foot and bike passengers across this narrow stretch of water. In the early ninteen-hundreds, the future of the ferry service was called into doubt by plans to build a permanent crossing between Hayling and Eastney. The plans consisted of an aerial bridge with a suspended carriage that would travel back and forth along the require 720 foot span. The plan however was rejected by Hayling Parish Council in 1903, preserving the future of the ferry service to this day.

During the build up to the D-day landings of 1944, much of this area served as a site for the construction of mysterious concrete structures, that were later to form part of the Mulberry Harbours. Remains of the concrete plinths that the structures were built upon, now serve as a warm spot for sun bathers, whilst a damaged Mulberry unit sits just off shore reminding us all of the their purpose.

The pub that sits at this end of the Island was originally named the Norfolk Lodge Inn, after the Dukes of Norfolk who were once the Lords of the manor of South Hayling. Timbers used in the construction of the pub were salvaged from HMS Impregnable, which sunk of the Hayling coast in 1798. The name change to "The Ferry Boat Inn" in the 1950s was partially attributed to a popular song of the time "Down at the Ferry Boat Inn".





Current photos of Hayling Ferry
See all current photos of Hayling Ferry

Historic photos of Hayling Ferry
See all historic photos of Hayling Ferry

More about Hayling Ferry

 

Historic Hayling guide

Use our interactive map of Historic Hayling below


Click any of the red dots on the map above to navigate between the other areas in our Historic Hayling section