Standing a few miles off the South East point of Hayling, The Nab Tower was originally destined to be part of a First World War submarine defence. During 1917 the British Admiralty, alarmed by the looses of allies shipping to German U-boats planned a series of 80 – 90 such towers. These were to be located in the Straits of Dover, linked by steel nets and each armed with two 4″ guns. Construction began on the first four of these ominous structures at Shoreham harbour in 1918.
When the armistice was signed in November of the same year, the towers suddenly became superfluous. Two of the towers, in an earlier stage of constructions, were dismantled whilst two were left to rust in the harbour. In 1920 The Admiralty offered on of the towers to be used as a lighthouse, to replace the Nab lightship (pictured below). The tower was towed into place by two tugs and positioned over a sand spit. With dignitaries stood atop the tower valves were opened to allow sea water to flood the vast tanks. As the tower slowly sunk to its’ resting place it began to list, leaving it at the unsettling angle that it is today.