Opened in 1867 the station at West Town was the southern terminus of the Havant to Hayling branch line. The small station, consisting of a single platform, goods shed and signal box had no turn table. This meant that trains coming down the Hayling line facing forwards had to complete to return journey backwards. The station served South Hayling nearly one hundred years before being seeing off its last train on 3rd November 1963.
For many years after the closure of the station, one of the “Hayling Billy” Terrier Tank engines could be seen in the car park of its namesake, The Hayling Billy pub. Removed in the 1970s, this engine was returned to service on the Isle of Wight as part of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway.
Since 1997 the station has served as the home for HIADS (Hayling Island Amateur Dramatics Society). Thanks to grants from Hampshire County Council, the Foundation for Sports and the Arts, the National Lottery Arts Council and support from the local community the old goods shed of the station has been converted into 144 seat theatre which is the location of various productions throughout the year.